Prep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min.
Yield: 5 servings
1 medium spaghetti squash (4 pounds)
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 tablespoons prepared pesto
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 cup dry whole wheat panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 14-16 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the tomatoes, pesto, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Cover and process until blended; set aside. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; set aside
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink; remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, chicken and reserved tomato mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. In a large ovenproof skillet, layer with half of the squash, chicken mixture and reserved crumb mixture. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
Nutritional Facts 1-1/2 cups equals 348 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 493 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 27 g protein.
This is an awesome recipe that I found from my friend, fellow coach Andrea! It is a great dinner that has complex carbs that will not sit in your belly all night and turn into fat!! It's fuel for your body!!!