So one thing I have found EXTREMELY helpful is one simple thing... its easy not to do, and its also easy to do, just like anything else when you get yourself into the habit.... TRACK YOUR DAILY PROGRESS AND ACTIVITY!!
HOW DO YOU TRACK YOUR FOOD AND FITNESS?!?
1. Journal it- Yes, some of us still like to journal because seeing it on paper makes it more realistic! There is just something about writing it down and adding up those small bites and added snacks that helps you see you may be snacking just a little too much or maybe your not eating enough!
When I journal, I write down the date, and then meal 1-5 with the times.... I noticed when I did that, I was just eating too much in the evening rather than throughout the day.
2. MyFitness Pal- Maybe you don't like to use a journey and want something you can carry with you all the time. This is where My Fitness Pal comes into play!! This app is FREE on your phone or you can even use it on your computer. It is a great day to track each food you eat and will tally up how many calories each food is! Literally, you can search the food by brand, so you have the exact piece of food you are eating which is awesome! You can also add your workouts in with how many calories you burned, along with how much water you drank!!
WHY TRACK ON NOT GO BY THE SCALE:
- The scale does NOT give you the whole story- Everyone's metabolism is different. So you may be eating a lot of calories or even too few calories, but your body changes in a different way, depending on your metabolism, body type, genetics, etc! The scale does NOT show muscle gained and fat burned. The scale does not show inches lost or how you feel inside!
- The scale does not show if your losing weight in the right places- You may be trying to focus on a certain goal such as toning your legs and thighs, or arms, but the scale can not show your progress in certain areas of your body. You can be gaining muscle in areas and losing weight, but the scale can easily not change since you are replacing fat lost with muscle gained.
- The scale does NOT tell you how much your eating- Again, your metabolism is different for each person. You can be eating too many calories and if you are trying to lose, the scale is not going to tell you to how many calories or macros you need each day to get your results by a certain date. That is why we PORTION CONTROL, use apps and journals to help us be more specific about what we are ingesting.
- The scale doesn't tell you if your getting stronger- Literally, if your building muscle, it could be easy to look at a scale and see muscle gained can show a couple pounds gained (if you do not have a lot to lose). But There is a difference between a 130 pound female that has 20 % body fat and is strong and healthy than a 130 pound female who is "skinny fat" with 30% body fat. You look and feel totally different!
DO NOT LET THE SCALE DETERMINE YOUR SUCCESS OR FAILURE!
I wanted to bring the scale into this because most people think its an easy way to track your food and fitness.. If your losing weight, your doing it right, and if your gaining, your doing it all wrong.
But the scale does NOT define who you are!! It does not show your strength, progress inside you, progress and inches lost on the outside, definition gained, energy level improvement, or your improvement with self confidence!!
Track your fitness and food with journal or apps that you can see, but another big determination is by physically seeing... that means
1. Taking Pictures: Before and after pictures... this truly shows your body changing. You are the last person to see your body change. Why? Because you see yourself every day and you are also your own worst critic. Save yourself some disgust and stress and just take the pictures so you can really see the difference!
Take those pictures in good lighting and in the same clothes. It's best to use the least amount of clothing (sports bra and short short, bathing suit) so you can see all parts of your body! Oh, and take them in the morning before you have a chance to drink and eat so there is not chance for extra bloating! :)
2. Take measurements: Again, those inches make a difference!! Use a flexible measuring tape (from a sewing kit) and measure in the SAME spot each time:
- Waist (smallest part of your stomach)
- Belly Button (yes, I do this because women tend to hold fat there the most)
*If you have two of the same body parts i.e. Thighs and arms, please be sure you measure BOTH sides.. they are not always the same. In fact they are usually different because you are usually using one side more than another! :) Don't worry, it doesn't make you weird or an alien because you measure differently!
Lets continue tracking our fitness journey, focusing on small successes along the way! When you can celebrate those successes along the way, you will keep that momentum going, stay strong and motivated, and those fitness goals will be reached in no time!!
If you would like more information on getting 1:1 support, accountability, help with nutrition tips and recipes, please fill out my application below for a spot in my next fitness challenge support group!
*This will require incorporating 30-40 minute workouts, healthy eating, and daily check ins to keep yourself accountable for you to reach your goals!