Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Eating Clean for Kids!!



Eating Healthy For Kids!!

So as parents, we all want to set good examples for our children to live a healthy lifestyle right?? As a mommy and health and fitness lover, I try to teach my kids how to eat healthy, and live healthy.. No, I do not only feed my children clean fresh food, but I do watch what I give them and I will say, they are into the habit of eating that way now.  Just like any adult, after eating and living a certain way for so long, it becomes second nature and easy to follow. 
There are many options to choose from when it comes to selecting food for your children to eat… fruit snacks, crackers, cookies, etc. I know, my son loves snacks, so for me as his mommy, I need to find snacks that he will enjoy, but at the same time are good for him!! My other son is only 11 months, so he eats what I make!! J
So here it is.. When grocery shopping, just like when I am shopping for myself, I chose:

  •  Fresh veggies and fruits (carrots, green beans, strawberries, grapes, bananas, watermelon, etc.)

  •  Snacks- I go for Organic, or low in sugar (fruit snacks)- Instead of letting my kids snack on Oreos or candy, I will chose the low fat chocolate animal crackers.  They are not the best, but also not the worst!
  •   I try to add protein into each meal- String Cheese is an easy and great snack.  Peanut butter is easily thrown on a fruit or even on whole wheat crackers or bread for a snack!! Yogurt is another great snack/breakfast that my kids love and yes, I go for the Greek and add fresh fruit or even a little agave nectar/pure maple syrup!!

  • Juice- I actually go for the v8 splash with servings of veggies and mix half with water.  Also I use flavored water-the kids do not know the difference!!

  • When shopping for breads, I chose 100%whole wheat crackers/bread.  These carbs are not refined and are easily digested.

Some easy snacks my kids love:
Rice cakes with natural peanut butter

  • Greek yogurt

  • Kashi cereal

  • String cheese

  • SHAKEOLOGY

  • SHAKEOLOGY BALLS

  • Banana with peanut butter

  • Apple slices

  • Strawberry and bananas

  • Raisins

  • Fiber one bar

  • Yogurt drops- place small drops of yogurt on wax paper and freeze it (great treat)

  • Cottage cheese and fresh fruit

  • Whole wheat wrap with sliced banana and natural peanut butter

  • Celery with peanut butter and raisins on top (ants on a log)
 


Can you tell we are peanut butter fans?!?! HAHA yes, he got it from his momma!! 

 Just remember, if you teach your children at an early age, they will assume the role to be healthy because they learn and follow their role models- PARENTS!!!! :)

No comments :

Post a Comment